Skip to main content
some things i have written
- "Local Boos: Terror in Marghoulritaville," "The Stair Sweeper" and "The Ghost of Quarantine Present" (Home with the Armadillo/Substack) - Spooky fiction stories published annually in my newsletter.
- "Biden's Troubling Response to 'Dobbs'" (The Nation) — I penned the print editorial for the 8/15/22 issue on President Joe Biden's historic and contemporary reluctance to champion abortion rights.
- "Fake Clinics Aren't the Answer" (New York Times) - First in Texas, and then across the nation, anti-abortion lawmakers are remaking the safety net for reproductive health care in their own image of God. I am not a fan.
- The 2021 Texas Writers Byline Scan (Home with the Armadillo/Substack) — In two parts, a survey of 486 writers who published 2,211 bylines in Texas print publications — monthly, bimonthly, and quarterly — in the year 2021, examining who wrote for Texas magazines, looking at writers’ identities along the axes of race, gender, and location. A follow-up piece includes interviews with editors at Texas Monthly and Texas Highways about diversity, equity, and inclusion at their publications.
- "How Texas Became Ground Zero in the Abortion Wars" (Rewire News) — a three-part series looking at the history of abortion legislation in Texas from Roe v. Wade to today. Part one covers the Roe years and the 80s; part two covers the late 80s until the early 00's; part three covers the 2013 filibuster until today.
- "When Cancel Culture Means Letting Go" (Dame magazine) — a look at the "cancel culture" wars from fans' perspectives, asking what it really means to let go of a favorite cultural artifact when it no longer feels good to consume work you once loved.
- "From 'Friendly' State to Enmity State" and "Even 'Turning Texas Blue' Won't Save Us If We Don't Face Some Hard Truths" (Texas Observer) - Two 2021 op-eds for the watchdog magazine look at Texas leaders' bad decisions and bids to pit neighbor against neighbor amid a raging pandemic.
- "Can We Please Make Cancel Culture Happen" (Home with the Armadillo/Substack) - If we're going to be out here hand-wringing about who's really a good guy, can we at least actually cancel some bad guys?
- "We Are the Daughters of the Silent Generations" (Home with the Armadillo/Substack) - The first installment of my newsletter, wherein I unpack the Highwomen's reimagining of a country music classic.
- "Texas is the Last Stop" (Medium) - Is a genuinely less fucked-up Texas even possible? Beto O'Rourke tried it!
- The Well Actually (Dame magazine) - A media criticism column written through an intersectional feminist lens.
- Bad Advice (The Establishment) - A weekly (bad) advice column in which the Bad Advisor validates all the worst ideas of the world's advice-seeking public.
- Resistance Kitchen (Tumblr) - A few years ago, I moved to California by mistake. While I was there, I wrote and edited a food blog about politics. A sampling: chili for Texas, and the ceviche of ghoulish fuckery.