An Introduction

I'm a writer, editor and reluctant Texpat living in Alameda, California. I'm the executive producer of Traitor Radio, a resistance podcast for short attention spans. (We would like your money, please.) I cuss on Twitter and run a food blog about politics.  I also cook Guy Fieri recipes with Houston poet Sara Cress on The Flavortonians and drink whiskey and talk about twang with my husband on Nope Country, the world's wankiest podcast about the world's least wanky musical genre.

Before decamping to the west coast in December 2016, I was the Texas Observer's digital editor, juggling a host of editing duties as well as keeping an eye on a state legislature famous for its tomfoolery and producing the Texas Miracle, the only news magazine-slash-podcast dedicated solely to Texas. Prior to my gig at the Texas Observer, I covered reproductive rights and state politics across the South as a senior political reporter with Rewire, a non-profit online magazine focused on reproductive and social justice, while writing the Texas Observer's monthly "State of the Media" column. Texans may also recognize my name from the virtual pages of Eater Austin and Eater Dallas.

The back story: I've been writing non-stop since well before I graduated from New York University, class of '05, with an individualized B.A. in new media. At NYU, I interned for SPIN and Seventeen before beginning my professional career at the Dallas Observer as a New Times editorial fellow. Before my New Times fellowship was over, I took a full-time staff position and later wrote a biweekly, ostensibly humorous participatory journalism column for the Observer called Girl On Top. As a staff writer, I covered true crime, religion and outsider communities, but most Dallasites know me best for being the woman who wrote that article about douchebags.

In 2007, I started performing stand-up comedy and became fascinated both by its practice and its gender politics. With an eye toward writing a book about female comics, I enrolled in the University of Texas at Austin's graduate cultural anthropology program, conducted fieldwork in Dallas, Austin and New York City and wrote my thesis on gender issues in stand-up. If you like wanky extrapolations about narrative discourse and gender performance in the small world of a niche hobby, I'd be happy to send you a copy.

Throughout graduate school and after, I continued to do journalism, predominantly as the editor of Village Voice Media's women's issues and pop culture blog, Heartless Doll, and later as a staffer back at the Dallas Observer, where I wrote about the search for a missing woman on Facebook, the boondoggle that is the federal government's Operation Streamline immigration policy, and cruelty, cronyism and mismanagement at the Dallas city animal shelter.

I've also been published on Rolling Stone.com, in the Women's Review of BooksD Magazine, the Austin Chronicle, Salon, BitchMs. Magazine, Jezebel, The Frisky and the Los Angeles Review Of Books' literary magazine, The Offing.

I'm always happy to take questions and assignments at andrea dot grimes at gmail dot com.

Comments

Jonnie England said…
Andrea, so glad I found you. When did you leave the Observer?
Andrea Grimes said…
Just in February, Jonnie. Hello!